Infuse sweet white chocolate tartlets with rose water then top them with salted pistachios and you have a delicious combination. If you like, you can replace the salted pistachios with almonds or hazelnuts. Raspberries make a great substitute for the pomegranate as well. Try orange blossom water instead of rose water to offer a heady, citrus aroma to the dessert.
Rosewater Tartlets With Pomegranate and Salted Pistachios
Makes 6 tartlets
Recipe by Sonali Ghosh
Total Cooking Time: 6 hours
Active Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus flour for dusting the work surface
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 7 tablespoons (3½ ounces) unsalted butter, chilled and coarsely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- scant ¾ cup (5 ounces) heavy cream
- 1⅓ cups (250 grams) white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 to 2 drops pink food coloring (optional)
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate arils, for serving
- ½ cup shelled salted pistachios, for serving
- ¼ cup dried edible rose petals, for serving (Cook’s Tip: Look for dried rosebuds as rose tea in the tea aisle of Asian grocery stores.)
- Food processor
- Six 2¾-inch diameter fluted tart pans with removable bases
- Pastry weights, dried rice, or beans
To make the pastry, process the flour, powdered sugar, and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and process until the mixture just comes together. Place the pastry dough on a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead it until smooth, and shape it into a disk. Wrap the pastry dough tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
Then, return the the dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll it into a disk, about ⅛-inch thick. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut pastry into six circles large enough to fit into tart pans. Line each tart pan with a piece of the pastry and trim the edges. Place the tart pans in the fridge for 30 minutes for the dough to rest.
Preheat the oven to 390°F.
Place the tart pans on a rimmed baking sheet. Line each tart shell with a square of parchment paper and fill it with pastry weights, dried rice, or beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the pastry weights and parchment paper, then bake the tart shells until the pastry is golden, about 15 minutes longer. Remove the tart shells from the oven and let cool to room temperature. At this stage, keep the tart shells inside the tart pans.
To make the white chocolate filling, bring the cream to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the white chocolate and rose water. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add the food coloring, if using, and mix well. Let the filling cool to room temperature.
Pour the cooled white chocolate filling into the prebaked tart shells. Place the tartlets in the refrigerator to chill completely, about 4 hours. Just before serving, remove the tartlets from the tart pans and top each tart with with the pomegranate seeds, pistachios, and rose petals.
Recipe and Photos by Sonali Ghosh