Don’t settle for the same old relish on your summer burgers and tacos. Quick pickled onion and radishes are ridiculously easy to make, and their tangy crunch can make the simplest sandwich pop with flavor.
Quick Pickled Pink Onion and Radishes
Makes 3 cups
Recipe by Adeline Waugh
Total Cooking Time: 24 hours, 20 minutes
Active Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 bunch red radishes, stemmed
- 1 medium-size red onion
- 1 jalapeño or Fresno pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup white vinegar, rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, preferably raw coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 quart-size (32 ounces) mason jar with lid
Using a mandoline, thinly slice the radishes, red onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic cloves. Pack the vegetables together into a 1 quart (32-ounce) mason jar.
Then, in a small saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, sugar, black peppercorns, and salt to a boil. Carefully pour the brine into the jar over the radishes and onion. Screw on the lid and allow the radishes and onion to brine in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before eating.
Photo by Nicholas Gang